Welcome to June! We are already half way through 2017. Let’s take a look at some year-to-date numbers and determine where we are in our business. Here are #10things you can do right now to keep 2017 on track to be an amazing year.
- Check inventory. Run a full inventory report for retail. Do your “on-hand” numbers match the numbers in your point-of-sale system? Was there shrinkage, miscounting or incorrect ordering? Review your internal system for tracking retail and make adjustments to keep your retail numbers accurate. If you are running out of specific retail items, buy more.
- Assess back bar usage. Compare back bar costs with service revenue. What percent of your service cost goes to back bar product? This is a good test to see if your spa is dispensing too much product.
- Compare years. Compare 2016 year-to-date with 2017. Are you up in retail and down in services? Work with your team and try to understand why the numbers are up and why certain numbers are down. Create your plan accordingly.
- Know cost increases. Product charges, labor costs, rent, etc. may have increased during 2017. How will you cover these costs?
- Analyze your hours of operation. Have the businesses around you changed their hours? Consider adjusting your hours of operation
to cater to the needs of your neighborhood
- Develop fall/holiday calendar. I know it sounds crazy. Add the dates of when you’ll offer promotions, purchase holiday product and create seasonal menus. Do it now, and you’ll feel more prepared.
- Schedule employee reviews. If you have not had time to chat with employees about their performance, now is the time.
- Check in with your insurance company. If you have purchased new equipment, remodeled, offered new services, increased/decreased the number of employees or made other changes to your business, let your insurance company know. Changes may affect your coverage.
- Appreciate your customers and team. When was the last time you said “thank you” to your customers or employees? Write love notes, buy the spa coffee and bagels or add complimentary add-ons to a signature service. We all need more appreciation.
- Take care of you. You can only offer insanely great customer service when you are healthy. Get a massage, take a yoga class or visit with an old friend. Refuel yourself and you’ll be a better leader for your team and family.
Numbers tell a story, and we can use this time to keep 2017 on track and enjoy the summer.