February is the month of love. ♥ If you have a valentine, are looking for one or just want to have a glass of wine with a friend you love, this is the month. We think it’s a given to love, but we have to share it and make time. I asked 10 industry colleagues what they love about their career, and this is what they had to say.
1. Creativity. I love the ability to be creative every minute of the day. I never get bored. I also love the community of skin care enthusiasts. —Andrea James, skin therapist and IDI educator (five years in the industry)
2. Community. I love the incredible acceptance of my individuality and the unwavering support from my peers and leaders. I love the ability to provide a service that will change someone’s day, month or year! —Kelly Higgins, brow specialist and esthetician at CODE Salon (four years in the industry)
3. Evolution. I love that the industry is ever-evolving and that is has the ability to build someone up and make them feel better about themselves. —Leon Shannon, esthetician and skin bar owner of Skin on Market (eight years in the industry)
4. Art. I love that we can connect our passion for art and beauty into a rewarding career. —Alfonse Wiebelt, make-up artist and co-owner/founder of MUSE Beauty (25+ years in the industry)
5. Health impact. After 25 years, I still love being part of someone’s intimate journey of health. Whether it’s education or a dramatic transformation, being of service towards a goal means everything to me. —Megan Linney, esthetician, massage therapist and founder of The Layer Lounge (25 years in the industry)
6. Job satisfaction. Besides loving making people feel better about themselves, I love being in a profession in which almost everyone loves what they do. I know very few unhappy people in our industry. —Mark Lees, esthetician, educator, writer, CIDESCO Diplomate and founder of Mark Lees Skincare (40+ years in the industry)
7. Reinvention. I love that there are so many ways to find job satisfaction. You can make your own way, work for others, innovate or practice. Mostly, I love that it is full of amazing people who will help you reinvent yourself along the way. —Stefani Silverman, Brazilian waxing specialist and esthetician (20 years in the industry)
8. Diversity. I love the diversity of the industry. I can finally be myself. —Michael Mouton, esthetician and educator (six years in the industry)
9. Flexibility. I love the flexibility of time and income! You get out of it, what you put in! —Stephanie Laynes, esthetician, trainer and founder of the Stephanie Laynes Institute (17 years in the industry)
10. Compassion. I love being part of an industry that has true compassion for the wellbeing of others. It was amazing to see that even during the pandemic, our industry found ways to help others. —Katie Anderson, editor in chief of Skin Inc. (15 years in the industry)
We need to remember, why we love what we do to keep inspired and to offer insanely great service to our guests. Love what you do and love who you do it for. Happy Valentine’s Day.