A healthy diet is crucial to keeping healthy and clear skin, especially foods packed with vitamins and antioxidants. It is common to find forms of vitamin C, antioxidants and amino acids in topical skin care, but it is just as important to ingest these ingredients to get a full-body benefit. An article from NDTV Food detailed five collagen-rich foods that are essential for healthy skin.
- Bell Pepper is full of vitamin C, antioxidants, amino acids and other vital minerals to improve skin health. It also contains capsaicin, an anti-inflammatory chemical with anti-aging properties.
- Chicken is high in amino acids, and some sections of chicken are high in collagen and may aid in the treatment of arthritis, according to the article.
- Lemon and other citrus fruits are high in antioxidants and vitamin C to aid in collagen production and drain toxins from the body. Citrus fruits also help in reducing skin inflammation.
- Leafy vegetables such as spinach and lettuce are called superfoods because they contain all the nutrients required for overall body growth and sustenance, and these superfoods also have significant skin benefits. These types of vegetables also contain chlorophyll, which may play a vital role in collagen formation, according to the article.
- Fish is a good source of amino acids and vital minerals like zinc and copper, which aid in the body's collagen production. Fish also contains beneficial fats that contribute to vibrant, healthy skin.