“While medical treatment for certain skin conditions is good for intervention, it’s only short term,” said Lyn Ross, founder of Institut’ DERMed Clinical Skin Care.
During the Advanced Education Conference at Skin Inc.’s Face & Body Southeast spa expo and conference, Ross shared challenging skin conditions and which problem-solving acids, enzymes, peptides and super extracts are proven to be effective for treating mature, discolored, acne and sensitive health compromised skin.
“Acne is the type of skin condition that comes in waves,” said Ross. “It comes and then it resolves.” Here are a few ingredients you can use in your arsenal for combating acne.
- Totarol extract: natural astringent
- Pumpkin enzymes: sheds dead cell build up; decongests clogged pores
- Tea tree oil: stimulates immune support
You can help clients with rosacea using these following ingredients:
- Licorice root extract: Tyrosinase inhibitor and natural astringent
- Clove oil: purifying; anti-inflammatory
- Azelaic acid: reduces redness; softening agent
Pigmentation disorders can be combating using these ingredients:
- L-ascorbic acid: protects against photoaging
- Kojic acid: fades skin discoloring
- Pearl powder: reduces hyperpigmentation; tyrosinase inhibitor
Aging has two levels: intrinsic (actual birth age) and extrinsic (environmental). Ross shared these ingredients to help with aging clients.
- L-retinol: Stimulates collagen
- L-Lactic acid: Stimulates cell renewal
- Hyaluronic acid: hydrating; skin rejuvenation