Most Popular in:
Alternative Therapy Treatments
Skin Inc. magazine Wishes You a Merry Christmas!
Posted: December 22, 2009
The staff at Skin Inc. magazine wishes everyone in the spa and beauty industries happy holidays this season, and offers these tips on coping with holiday stress.
With pressures from the economic hard times, dysfunctional families and countless other factors, the holidays can contribute to emotional stress and depression. But there are ways to cope with the various scenarios that people experience at this time of year, according to Dr. Laura Miller, director of women's mental health in the psychiatry department at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
For instance, she suggests:
If seasonal depression gets worse in fall and winter ...
- A therapeutic light box, which provides powerful light beyond what you can come up with yourself, might help in the morning. A doctor can help obtain one.
- Exercise can also make you feel better.
If you're busy and stressed out ...
- Take time for fun activities such as walking, meditating, exercising and hanging out with friends.
- Consider buying prepared foods instead of trying to make everything yourself.
- In general, reduce the number of activities that are more stressful than joyful.