Most Popular in:
Your Image is Your Business
By: Linda Bertaut
Posted: June 11, 2008, from the November 2006 issue of Skin Inc. magazine.
page 2 of 2
A person’s style of processing information plays a key role in their personal style, as well. Understanding your own preferred learning method can explain a lot about the way in which you communicate your image. The following are the three basic ways in which people process information.
- Visual people understand by seeing.
- Auditory people understand by hearing.
- Kinesthetic people understand
by feeling or experiencing.
Because personal image initially is seen, visual people comprehend appearance messages very easily and, thus, may invest more time in their own looks. Kinesthetic people, on the other hand, may favor comfort so strongly that they completely overlook what visual image they present. However, kinesthetic people still can find a way to relate their internal and external images while maintaining comfort. Auditory people can go either way, depending on their personality type and what matters most to them. Understanding their personality will help these people to better project their personal image.
Revealing the real you
Whichever type of person you are, the truth is that no one else is exactly like you. As a unique individual with innate talents, expressing yourself in an authentic way on the outside is your best selling tool and most effective advertisement for your business. Knowing what kind of person you are, what you would like to express and how best to represent yourself can enable you to reveal yourself more accurately. To help define yourself, consider the following.
- Ask three to five people who know you to varying degrees to describe you, and write down what they say. Use the responses as a gauge to determine if this is truly how you intend to be perceived. (See Personality Adjectives.)
- Next, define yourself. When you walk into a room, how do you want people to describe you? Select 10–12 adjectives that communicate who you are and who you aspire to be. For example, “beautiful,” “stylish” and “handsome” are visual, while “successful,” “dynamic” and “playful” represent personality traits. Be sure to include “credible” as one of your adjectives—this way, no matter what your style is, it won’t be too casual or sloppy.
- When you come up with a complete list that represents your personality, post it on a mirror where you can see it each day until it becomes a part of your daily life. Once you feel comfortable being you, your aspirations can become reality.
- Be congruent with your inner and outer images. Select clothing, relationships, a profession and an environment that can be described by your adjectives. When you do this, you will feel comfortable being the real you.
- Use your adjectives to weed out the clothing in your closet—everything from business and casual attire to garments in between. Consider eliminating those pieces that are the most diametrically opposed to your descriptors. When making new purchases, remember your list. Each new item ideally should represent the majority of your adjectives, not just one or two.
- Set boundaries, and surround yourself with people who support you in your goal of being yourself.
- Feed your spirit by making time to take care of yourself. Indulge in facials and massages, and get involved in hobbies, classes and other interests that make you happy.
- Keep learning, and share what you discover with others.
Remember that you are one person with many different aspects. Don’t change to fit your environment. Instead, identify your unique style, and then dress appropriately for the specific occasion. When you find the style that radiates your true essence, you’ll automatically become credible, the book will match the cover and your clientele will buy what you have to sell.
Selling yourself and your business
The beauty industry is a multibillion-dollar business that helps clients to feel beautiful and look their best. When selling confidence and self-esteem, it is important to impress them with your professionalism and accomplishments by putting forth your best image. With the right makeup, hairstyle and clothing, you can bring your personality to the surface and boost your credibility. After all, you are a walking advertisement for your business. And if beauty is your business, then your image is a vital component.