Get the Skinny! This is just part of the article. Want the complete story, plus a host of other cutting-edge articles to make your job easier? Sign up!
Face & Body Midwest Spa Conference & Expo (FBMW), held March 22–24, 2014, at McCormick Place West in Chicago, has lots to brag about, including experiencing a 54% increase in attendance! More than 5,242 skin care professionals were registered for the event, including estheticians and skin care facility owners and managers, and 7,500 salon professionals converged from America’s Beauty Show (ABS), which is co-located with FBMW during the three-day event.
Make a decision, act on it and see it through to the end
The Opening Session of the Advanced Education Conference Program on Saturday set the tone for the day when the First Lady’s personal esthetician, JoElle Lee, got attendees on their feet while she danced into the classroom to Pharell Williams’ song “Happy.” Lee shared her incredibly inspirational story in “My Journey From Chicago to the White House,” motivating all who attended, including:
- Ebony Lynn, licensed esthetician, makeup artist and beauty educator, described the session as "profound and empowering."
- Rhonda Mock, licensed esthetician at Infuse Skin and Body in Peoria, Illinois, said, "JoElle was not sugar-coating our profession—it takes work and perseverance! Love that she stated we do not need to discount ourselves."
- Heather Cozzi, licensed esthetician and makeup artist, Resplendent Aesthetic Services, said, "JoElle explained her journey and her speech made me think about my goals and where I want to be in my life ... She went above what I originally expected and made me think more about my future."
- Anna La Tour, licensed esthetican at Belleza Skin Care Institute in Wheaton, Illinois, called Lee, the "best opening speaker in years ... very real, open and honest about the esthetic industry—best advice ever."
- Barbara White, licensed esthetician and esthetic educator, and owner of Beautiful Reflections by Barbara in Overland Park, Kansas, said, "I am so inspired. She was amazing—worth my whole trip from Kansas City."
- Cheryl Schroeder, esthetician at kristopher's, Quincy, Illinois, said Lee "reminds me why I have the passion for the indistry that I do. It will be even more helpful when I'm in the White House!"
Look out for the June issue of Skin Inc.—Lee will be featured in the “A Good Influence” column.
Want the rest of the story? Simply sign up. It’s easy. Plus, it only takes 1 minute and it’s free!