Skin Care Recommendations for Clients Undergoing Radiation
- Good general hygiene is important.
- Cleanse skin in the treatment area with lukewarm water, and use a mild moisturizing soap.
- Pat the skin dry; do not rub with a towel or washcloth.
- Do not massage, rub or scratch the treated area.
- Do not apply any ointment, cream, lotion, powder or perfume to the skin in the treated area unless ordered or recommended by the radiation therapy physician.
- Do not wash off any marks placed on the skin unless instructed to do so by radiation therapy staff. These marks, along with the permanent tattoos, are necessary for accuracy in daily treatments.
- Avoid temperature extremes in the treated area, including hot water bottles, heating pads, heat-producing ointments and ice packs.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight in the treated area.