As a business owner or independent contractor, you’re likely accustomed to making fast decisions and moving quickly. With public relations (PR), you need patience; it is a lengthy, strategic process that includes bumps and pitfalls along with high-fives and dollar signs.
Stellar PR programs include four ingredients: relationships, pitches, perseverance and patience.
Relationships. The second word in PR, as you know, is “relations”—as in relationships. Skin care facilities should employ the following PR tactics year-round; not just when events and launches take place.
- Be personable; say “please” and “thank you.”
- Be timely and pertinent when pitching a story.
- When your spa is not a fit for a media outlet’s story, be able to make introductions to an appropriate expert.
- When you can meet a journalist personally, do it. Desk-side meetings in media-centric cities, such as New York and Los Angeles, are a must for any company that is serious about national exposure.
- Become a trusted resource, not just a one-shot deal.
- Become friends with journalists on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, connect on LinkedIn, subscribe to their blogs and read their articles. Journalists love to know that people enjoy their work.