Most Popular in:
Recipe: Vintage Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
By: Mohonk Mountain House Chefs
Posted: September 10, 2009, from the October 2009 issue of Skin Inc. magazine.
Guests at the historic Mohonk Mountain House can now take a step back in time and taste what it was like to be a resort guest in the late 19th century. In honor of its 140th anniversary, the majestic Victorian castle resort is offering a special selection of vintage cuisine, reinterpreting popular dishes that the resort’s guests dined on in the late 1800’s. Researched and recreated by the resort’s chefs, these anniversary-inspired recipes are available to both day and overnight guests throughout 2009.
Mohonk’s Vintage Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding Recipe
1 loaf of bread
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 quart milk
8 ounces sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut up one loaf of bread into cubes and place in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle bread with cinnamon and raisins.
- Scald milk and sugar together and then add vanilla.
- While scalding, slightly beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture.
- Whisk constantly and pour mixture over the bread.
- Cover the pan with foil and place bread pudding pan on a cookie sheet in oven filled with water to create a water bath.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 30-45 minutes.
- The bread pudding is done when custard has just set. Check with a knife in center to ensure no liquid is uncooked.
- Refrigerate any unused bread pudding.