Most Popular in:
Recipe: Ahi Bento Box
Posted: June 19, 2009
Makes 4 servings, 275 calories, 7 grams of fat
2 cups small diced #1+ ahi tuna (no sinew or bloodline; use the upper portion of a large loin)
1 teaspoon orange zest
4 tablespoons finely diced sweet yellow onion
2 tablespoons sirache chile
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1 tablespoon sea salt
1. Combine all ingredients and season to taste.
Furikake rice cracker ingredients:
1 cup short-grain sushi rice
5 cups water
1 sheet nori seaweed
1 cup furikake spice mix
4 cups grape seed oil
1. Intentionally overcook rice with water on low heat so grains become soft, and allow rice to cool to just above room temperature.
2. Place the nori shiny side down on a dry table and spread the rice across the seaweed to form a pasty layer that is approximately 1/4-inch thick.
3. Sprinkle the top of the rice with furikake.
4. Place a sheet of plastic over the layers and gently press it with a rolling pin to compress the layers together.
5. Remove the plastic and, with a sharp knife, cut the seaweed lengthwise into eight thin strips.
6. Wrap each of these strips around a metal ring and quickly drop into 350°F grape seed oil. You may also drop the strips directly into the oil and forgo the molding process if you do not desire a perfectly round shape.
7. Dry all crackers on paper towels.
8. Plate with the tartare on the bottom, topped with the cracker, and serve.