from Executive Chef Terry Conlon, Lake Austin Spa Resort, Austin, Texas
Makes 4 servings, 312 calories, 8 grams of fat
This is a take on a classic French entrée salad, perfect if served with some good bread and iced herbal tea. A high-quality canned white albacore tuna, packed in spring water and well-drained, may be substituted for the fresh tuna steak.
Want the rest of the story? Simply sign up. It’s easy. Plus, it only takes 1 minute and it’s free!
1 1⁄2 cups water
3⁄4 cup white wine
1⁄2 sliced lemon
1⁄4 cup sliced onion
1⁄2 rib of celery, sliced
1⁄4 cup sliced carrot
1 bay leaf
2 black peppercorns
12 ounces albacore tuna steak
4 steamed new potatoes, cut into quarters or halves
1⁄2 cup (3⁄4 inch) peeled carrot strips, steamed until tender
1 cup (1 1⁄2 inch) green beans, steamed until tender
1 small red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, diced
8 pitted black olives, cut into halves
1⁄2 cup diced red onion
2 green onions, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoon anchovy paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine the water, wine, lemon, onion, celery, sliced carrot, bay leaf and peppercorns in a stainless steel or other nonreactive saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring to a simmer and add tuna; gently poach for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and allow tuna to cool to room temperature in poaching liquid.
4. Remove the tuna and place in a large bowl; flake.
5. Add the potatoes, carrot strips, green beans, bell pepper, olives, red onion and green onions; mix well.
6. Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, anchovy paste, garlic, Dijon mustard, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the tuna and vegetables; mix well.