Did you know that April 16th is National Stress Awareness Day? Coincidence that it falls the day after taxes are due? The International SPA Association's (ISPA) research shows that the No. 1 reason people go to the spa is to relax and relieve or reduce stress. Following are some other facts about stress:
- 1/3 of Americans are living with extreme stress and nearly half believe their stress has increased during the past five years. (American Psychological Association)
- People who go for a single deep-tissue massage reduce their blood pressure by seven points. Throughout time, lowered blood pressure can add six years to your life. (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine)
- By 2020, the top five diseases will all have the underlying contributing factor of stress. (World Health Organization)
Dealing with your stress today can help prevent stress-related illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke and depression. "There's quite a bit you can learn at a spa to help reduce stress," says Brent Bauer, MD, director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. "Things like meditation, acupuncture, massage and guided imagery--the right answer is to find what fits for you and incorporate it on a regular basis."
"Spas are not about luxury they're about teaching healthy living; they're a place where people can get tangible results and work on overall well-being," said ISPA president Lynne Walker McNees. "So many spas are offering great ways to help you manage your stress that it's easy to find a spa experience that fits into your budget."
A sampling of the stress relieving treatments offered by ISPA members during April include:
- Saybrook Point Inn & Spa's Calming Combo includes your choice of any 50-minute massage with a scalp treatment or foot massage. $99 Mon-Fri (CT)
- Skinsational Skin & Body Spa offers free mini-massage or mini-facials from 11a.m. - 1 p.m. Mon-Thu (CA)
- Relache Spa has a De-Stress for Less package with a massage, facial or manicure/pedicure combo. $99 (TN)
- Le Boe European Day Spa's Tax Stress Relief Package includes 60-minute aromatherapy massage, 15-minute face and scalp massage and 15-minute reflexology. $130 (FL)
- The Founders Inn & Spa's Stress Less is a 50-minute massage and 50-minute pedicure. $99 Mon-Thu (VA)
- The Spa & Fitness Club at South Coast Plaza is offering complimentary lunch and 25% off all services and retail on April 16th. (CA)
- The Spa at Ballantyne will offer free seminars to help combat stress from 4 - 6 p.m. April 16th. (NC)