Most Popular in:
Alternative Therapy Treatments
Promote Sleep Awareness: With Exclusive Commentary From Massage Envy About How to Talk Sleep With Your Clients
Posted: March 9, 2011
page 2 of 2
Consider providing these seven helpful tips to clients when they leave your spa to help improve their sleep.
- Recognize the importance of sleep. People are programmed to spend one-third of their lives sleeping, and there’s a consequence for not doing it.
- Have a routine. Go to bed at the same time, and get up at the same time.
- Wind down. Turn off all electronics an hour before bed and wind down with a relaxing activity.
- Change your environment. Make sure your bedroom is dark and cool, that there are no lights and beeps from equipment, and your bed is comfortable.
- Avoid sleep saboteurs. Avoid caffeine late in the day. Likewise, stay away from alcohol, which might make you feel sleepy, but makes your sleep fragmented later.
- Exercise. Exercise is hands-down far and away the best de-stressor out there. And less stress is great for sleep. Just don’t exercise too close to bedtime.
- Massage. Massage encourages a deep state of relaxation and reduces stress hormones which will allow the body to naturally relax in the evening.
How massage can help improve sleep
So how can massage help clients get their cortisol levels under control? You’re less likely to have stress interfering with your sleep. There are some good studies that show that massage can actually reduce some of the stress hormone exposure. People who have sleep disorders typically don’t get rested when they sleep. During a massage, they go into a deep state of relaxation, and rest, which can positively affect the body similar to sleep. Massage is essentially affecting the hormone levels. Studies have shown that massage increases serotonin, which increases the melatonin and helps circadian rhythms to reset. Help clients choose a type of massage that feels relaxing to them; good choices are Swedish massage, reflexology, hot stone therapy and cranial sacral therapy.