Want More Education?
Delve deeper into the science behind skin care with —Skin Inc. Video Education!
Most Popular in:
Sun Care Treatments
Program Created to Encourage Parents to Protect Children From the Sun
Posted: June 6, 2013
page 2 of 2
The survey also uncovered data on what steps people favor and believe are reasonable for protecting children from the sun during the school day. These findings include:
- Sixty-eight percent agree or strongly agree that they would like to see sun protection education incorporated into the school curriculum.
- Eighty-eight percent feel that it is a reasonable step to allow children to wear hats, sunglasses and sun-protective clothing when outside during the school day.
- Eighty-six percent said that arranging school grounds to provide shaded areas for recess and outdoor play is reasonable.
- About two in five of Americans (44%) believe it is a reasonable step to require an authorization note from both a parent and a doctor to reapply sunscreen to a child in school.
About the survey
The survey was conducted by ORC International on behalf of Merck Consumer Care, among a representative sample of 1,007 adults ages 18 and older. The survey was fielded over the phone between March 7 and 10, 2013.
- Merck Consumer Care, the makers of Coppertone® with ORC International. Survey of 1,007 Adults Across The US. 7 – 10 March 2013.
- Geller AC, Zwirn J, Rutsch L, Gorham SA, Viswanath V, Emmons KM. Multiple Levels of Influence in the Adoption of Sun Protection Policies in Elementary Schools in Massachusetts. Arch Dermatol. 2008;144(4):491-496. doi:10.1001/archderm.144.4.491. Available from www.archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=419634.