Want More Education?
Delve deeper into the science behind skin care with —Skin Inc. Video Education!
Most Popular in:
Medical Esthetics Treatments
Trends with Teens and Plastic Surgery from the ASAPS
Posted: October 21, 2010
page 2 of 2
For those 18 and under:
- Ten years ago: There were 145,094 procedures in 2000, representing 2.5% of the total
- Five years ago: There were 240,682 procedures in 2004, representing 2.0% of the total
- Last year: There were 160,283 procedures in 2008, representing 1.6% of the total
- This year: There were 203,308 procedures in 2009, representing 2.0% of the total
The number of lipoplasty procedures performed on those 18 and younger has remained low, reflecting careful patient selection among this group. ASAPS statistics show that the number of procedures has increased from 2,504 in 1997 to 1,559 in 2009.
In 2009, there were 2,953 breast augmentation procedures performed on women 18 an under, 0.9% percent of the total number of breast augmentation procedures. The reasons for surgery were:
- 40%—cosmetic bilateral breast augmentation
- 24%—severe asymmetry
- 12%—Poland's Syndrome (congenital absent breast)
- 9%—tubular breast deformity
- 10%—congenital micromastia (severe underdevelopment)