The U.S. Congress approved a multibillion dollar omnibus spending bill to fund the federal government for the remainder of fiscal year 2008, which includes a $1 million increase for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for review of cosmetics. The Personal Care Products Council president and CEO Pamela Bailey issued the following statement praising the efforts of Congress for a funding increase that will enhance FDA capacity for oversight and development of global safety standards for personal care products.
"The Personal Care Products Council is pleased to announce that the U.S. Congress has approved $1 million funding increase for FDA for review of cosmetics, which will further enhance consumer protections for personal care products. Our products literally touch nearly every American every day. Through strong regulatory oversight, made possible by this $1 million increase, consumer confidence in the safety of their personal care products will remain high.
"Consumer safety is the number one priority cosmetic and personal care product companies. Over the years, cosmetic and personal care product companies have worked with FDA to establish a unique partnership in which companies go beyond the requirements of the law to provide additional safety and technical resources and information.
"Consumers depend on safe products that are available and consistently regulated across the globe. In addition to enhanced oversight, this funding increase will allow critical FDA participation in international discussions to develop the best and most encompassing global protections and regulations for consumers of personal care products.”
Council Commends Congress for FDA Cosmetics Funding Increase
January 2, 2008
Most Popular in Makeup Treatments
- 9788 Steps to Perfect Eyelash Extensions
- 962Lash and Brow Styles Speak Volumes
- 410Spring 2016 Colors Transcend Norms
- 342Advise Clients to Toss Expired Makeup
- 30310 Things Every Makeup Artist Must Know
- 219Color Theory in the World of Makeup
- 134Want Flawless Makeup? Prep Skin First!
- 62Five Benefits of Airbrush Makeup
- 54Reflections: It's Personal
- 36The Over-50 Makeover
- Advise Clients to Toss Expired Makeup
9/24/2015, Kristen Wegrzyn
- Bright Summer Eyes
6/1/2012, Teresa Paquin
- Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Hued
5/13/2008, By Alphonse Wiebelt
- The Over-50 Makeover
10/31/2012, Teresa Paquin
- Top Holiday Makeup Tips for Clients
12/14/2010, Cathy Christensen