The successful use and application of essential oils, known as aromatherapy, is easily accomplished and requires very little knowledge. There are a few rules, the first one being, purchase some oils and use them. From this humble beginning, steps can be taken to make your essential oil treatments more effective and finely tuned for precise activity and healing results. Familiarity with the oils used, application methods, formulation, and a study of essential oil chemistry and biology are building blocks to achieving your clients’ desired outcomes. Like any successful treatment, you begin with a well-defined purpose, or therapeutic goal, for the use of the oils. This is accomplished with a competent holistically focused aromatherapy consultation.
Aromatherapy treatments can be thought of like a well-structured business plan and should include the following treatment progression.
- Identify the client’s therapeutic goal.
- Find out what essential oil properties would best achieve the goal.
- Find out what chemical compounds contain the selected properties.
- Compose a list of essential oils with the desired properties and compounds.
- Figure out what application is best suited to the desired goal.
- Make a final selection of oils for blending.
- Blend according to the therapeutic goal, application method and fragrance.
Your competent aromatherapy consultation is your guide to defining a goal, selecting an essential oil, and applying and blending it for your treatment plan. The information needed for such a consultation, resulting in customized experiences for consumers with therapeutic goals, as well as increased retail sales, is included in this article.