Growth for Naturals
September 21, 2007
Most Popular in Sustainability
- 28Make Your Spa More Sustainable!
- 9Green Spa Network Calls for Sustainable Spa Leaders
- 8Green Spas Today: Inspiring and Conscious Innovations
- 7'Green' Standard Launched to Certify Cosmetic Product Life Cycle
- 7The Global LOHAS Movement
- 6Understanding the LOHAS Market
- 6Natural Product Packaging
- 5Sustainability--The Next Evolution of the Skin Care Industry
- 5Earth Day-themed Spa Treatments Around the Globe
- 2Ecocert Launches International Organic and Natural Spa Certification
Investment is coming in from large cosmetic manufacturers, retailers, private and financial investors. Europe has seen most retailer investment with a number of leading mass market retailers launching natural and organic cosmetics in the last year. Investment is also coming from large cosmetic companies who are either acquiring dedicated natural and organic cosmetic companies or launching certified products.
A new report by Organic Monitor looks at mergers, acquisitions and investments in the global natural cosmetics industry and projects global natural cosmetics market revenues to surpass $10 billion before 2010. At that time, the market share of these products is projected to near 10% in countries like Germany and the U.S.
Companies are experimenting with natural preservatives, surfactants and colorants as they move away from synthetic chemicals. The major challenge the industry faces is lack of regulation, with many pseudo-natural products competing with legitimate natural and organic cosmetic products. Differences in natural ingredient compositions and the variation in private standards could dampen consumer confidence. Defining a natural and organic cosmetic product, a major industry concern, is the subject of the technical seminar at the first-ever conference on Natural Cosmetics & Sustainability: Natural Beauty Summit Europe in Paris, November 29 and 30, 2007. The seminar will tackle technical and formulation issues companies face with natural and organic cosmetics.
- Green Spas Today: Inspiring and Conscious Innovations
10/2/2014, Shelley Lotz
- Beauty Companies Slow to Embrace Sustainable Packaging
8/31/2010, Jeff Falk
- FTC Calls for Comments on its Revised "Green" Product Claims Guidance
10/15/2010, Katie Schaefer
- Study Assesses Sustainability Initiatives in the Beauty Industry
6/3/2010, Jeff Falk
- Earth Day at Éminence Organic Skin Care
4/22/2013, Kristen Wegrzyn