Want More Education?
Delve deeper into the science behind skin care with —Skin Inc. Video Education!
Most Popular in:
Cosmetic Surgery in the United States on the Rise
Posted: March 20, 2006
page 3 of 4The report also lists the top five minimally invasive cosmetic procedures:
- Botox: 3,839,387
- Chemical peel: 1,033,581
- Microdermabrasion: 837,711
- Laser hair removal: 782,732
- Sclerotherapy (includes injectable wrinkle fillers): 589,768
The most common reconstructive surgeries were:
- Tumor removal: 3,936,405
- Laceration (cut) repair: 344,231
- Scar revision: 181,011
- Hand surgery: 171,972
- Breast reduction: 114,250
Data came from a national online database for plastic surgery procedures and from an annual survey sent to more than 17,000 board-certified specialists in specialties most likely to perform plastic surgery.
Different groups, different data
The three most commonly requested cosmetic surgeries varied by ethnic group:
- Blacks: Nose reshaping, liposuction, and breast reduction
- Asian Americans: Nose reshaping, eyelid surgery, and breast augmentation
- Hispanics: Breast augmentation, liposuction, and nose reshaping