20 Questions About Spa Quality
Posted: April 20, 2010
A spa quality system includes everything that the spa's staff needs to know and information about how to safely, effectively and efficiently deliver treatments and services that consistently meet the needs of spa clients. By using a quality system approach, the spa is positioned for long-term success. The following 20 questions from Spa Quality, LLC are designed to help you determine if your spa's quality system is complete.
- Does the spa staff use the defined vision, mission and values on a daily basis?
- Are the key processes of the spa business and operations and their interactions defined?
- Do you have a list of all of the documents and records required for the spa?
- Does the spa staff have a way of knowing that all the documents they use are the most current?
- Are the impacts on the entire system considered when changes are made?
- Are regularly scheduled assessments of the key policies, processes and interactions done by spa staff?
- Does the spa collect data on measurable objectives?
- Does the spa evaluate key performance indicator (KPI) data on a regular basis?
- Does the spa determine client-specific information regarding treatments and service requirements?
- Are written policies, procedures and records of treatments and services maintained?
- Are the requirements clearly communicated for managing a seamless client experience?
- Is data collected to determine client perception?
- Can you prove that the methods of sanitation used by the spa are effective in destroying biological organisms?
- Are records maintained to demonstrate that maintenance was performed as planned?
- Is inventory stock rotated to ensure that the first in is used first?
- Is the waste of products and supplies monitored?
- Are there processes in place to predict/anticipate problems?
- Are there records of actions taken to eliminate problems?
- Does the spa determine the effectiveness of actions taken to eliminate problems?
- At least annually, does the top management evaluate both the effectiveness and efficiency of the spa business (more extensive than just financials)?
Give yourself 1 point for every "yes" and 0 for every "no." If you scored 16–20, your spa most likely has a robust quality system. If you scored 10–15 your spa has a quality system that needs improvement. If you scored 9 or less, your quality system may be putting your spa business at risk.