Get the Skinny! This is just part of the article. Want the complete story, plus a host of other cutting-edge articles to make your job easier? Sign up!
As a business owner or independent contractor, you’re likely accustomed to making fast decisions and moving quickly. With public relations (PR), you need patience; it is a lengthy, strategic process that includes bumps and pitfalls along with high-fives and dollar signs.
Stellar PR programs include four ingredients: relationships, pitches, perseverance and patience.
Relationships. The second word in PR, as you know, is “relations”—as in relationships. Skin care facilities should employ the following PR tactics year-round; not just when events and launches take place.
- Be personable; say “please” and “thank you.”
- Be timely and pertinent when pitching a story.
- When your spa is not a fit for a media outlet’s story, be able to make introductions to an appropriate expert.
- When you can meet a journalist personally, do it. Desk-side meetings in media-centric cities, such as New York and Los Angeles, are a must for any company that is serious about national exposure.
- Become a trusted resource, not just a one-shot deal.
- Become friends with journalists on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, connect on LinkedIn, subscribe to their blogs and read their articles. Journalists love to know that people enjoy their work.
Want the rest of the story? Simply sign up. It’s easy. Plus, it only takes 1 minute and it’s free!