Most Popular in:


Email This Item! Print This Item!

Melanoma Death Rate Still Climbing

Posted: June 19, 2006

page 4 of 6

Once you've found a skin lesion or mole that gives you pause, you should go to a dermatologist as soon as possible to have it looked at, Gross said.

He recommends a dermatologist over your family physician because the specialist knows more about the different types of skin blemishes and cancers and can make a more informed diagnosis.

"Most patients come in saying, 'I've got a mole, and it's changing, that makes me suspicious. I want it biopsied,' " Gross said.

People might want to consider having regular skin screenings, particularly as they get older, he said. That way, doctors can track the progress of various blemishes and moles and note any suspicious changes.

Even if a growth has been removed, Gross recommends paying close attention to the place it came from. It could recur without warning.