From Chef John Nowakowski of The Regency Health Resort and Spa,Hallandale Beach, Florida
Makes 6–8 servings, 310 calories, 7 grams of fat
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2⁄3 cup of rice milk, almond milk or soy milk, heated
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup Earth Balance* natural buttery spread, softened but not melted
½ cup organic raw sugar
2⁄3 cup organic rolled oats
2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook 15–20 minutes until tender. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
4. Add the Earth Balance, and mix with a fork or dough cutter until the mixture resembles little crumbles. Fold in the pecans if desired. Put aside.
5. Mash the potatoes with the hot milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.
6. Place the potato mix in a 10x13-inch casserole dish and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Cover the potatoes with a generous layer of the oatmeal topping and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 30–35 minutes or until the topping is light brown and crispy.
8. If there is topping leftover, place it in a plastic bag, refrigerate and save for future use as a topping for fruit cobblers or this recipe.
*Earth Balance is a trade name of Smart Balance, Inc., Paramus, NJ.