Want More Education?
Delve deeper into the science behind skin care with —Skin Inc. Video Education!
Most Popular in:
Pomegranates Can Help Slow Aging, Increase Overall Well-being
Posted: March 1, 2010
Ingredients and their components are of great interest to clients. Offer the following information about how pomegranates can help overall well-being, but also remind clients to speak with their physician before adding any new ingredient-based therapies into their routines.
Research indicates that the pomegranate has the capacity of antioxidant that is two or three times higher than that of red wine and green tea. They have very high content of punicalagins, a potent antioxidant component found to be responsible for its superior health benefits. They are also a good source of vitamin B (riboflavin, thiamin and niacin), and vitamin C, calcium and phosphorus. These and other minerals in pomegranates cause a powerful synergy that prevents and reverses many diseases. ChicagoHealers.com's Melody Hart, PhD, ND, provides the following common ailments that are known to react positively with the use of pomegranate or its juice.
- Anemia. Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon with a little honey to a cup of pomegranate juice. This can be beneficial for women after monthly loss of blood due to menstruation.
- Anti-aging. Antioxidants are highly effective in helping to protect the skin from free radical damage known to cause signs of aging.
- Asthma. The high content of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in this fruit is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It can greatly reduce wheezing in young children with asthma.
- Atherosclerosis. The highly cleansing power of this miracle juice scrubs away the old build-up of arterial deposits, reducing the risks of heart diseases and stroke.
- Cholesterol. Drinking juices high in antioxidants has been proven to fight the oxidative stress that is the main culprit in oxidizing the LDLs in the blood.
- Dysentery. Drinking fresh pomegranate juice is an excellent remedy to soothe the pain and inflammation caused by severe diarrhea with blood and mucus in stools.
- Immune booster. The antioxidant nutrients in pomegranates are critical in building up the immune system. Drink juice high in antioxidants when you feel a cold coming.
- Morning sickness/nausea. Mix and drink an equal amount of honey with pomegranate juice for relief.
- Sore throat. The anti-inflammatory agent in pomegranate juice significantly reduces soreness and redness in the throat.