Want More Education?
Delve deeper into the science behind skin care with —Skin Inc. Video Education!
Most Popular in:
Foods That Help Fight Cancer
Posted: November 9, 2009
Nutrition is an important elements of staying healthy, and there are a few foods that are ideal to add to your diet to help battle cancer and other diseases.
According to the National Cancer Institute, more than 11.1 million people alive in this country have a history of cancer. And that doesn’t even include all those who have had bouts with other diseases and illnesses, such as heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. While there is no surefire way to prevent every possible illness that may come your way, there are plenty of natural foods that you can incorporate into your regular diet to help heal your body and keep it healthy.
“Food is a powerful thing. Because we eat so frequently, it is important to make sure that we are including foods that will do our bodies good,” says Gina Kopera, author of the book Cure Yourself Naturally: What To Do When Your Doctor Cannot Heal You. She is a certified master herbalist and owner of Gina’s Corner Healing Herbs and Supplements. “The problem is that people are not always aware of which foods are the ones they should eat and which they should avoid.”
To help keep your body healthy and striving for optimum wellness, it is best to eat a diet that contains a lot of natural foods, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Also, be sure to include the following potent natural healing foods in your diet:
- Vegetables – The vegetables that are especially cruciferous, such as broccoli and cauliflower, as well as dark-green leafy ones, are ideal.
- Green tea – Studies have shown that green tea contains catechin, which is helpful in several ways, including fighting cancer.
- Whole grains – They contain phytochemicals and other substances that have been linked to lower cancer risks. Foods that are whole grain, preferably sprouted grains, include pastas, tabouleh, tortillas, popcorn, bread and so on.
- Beans – This group, including soy (e.g., tofu, soymilk, soy burgers), is high in fiber and contains compounds called phytochemicals.
- Berries – Dark-colored berries, especially blueberries, cranberries and strawberries, contain healthy compounds and antioxidants.
- Garlic – This popular food contains allium and other anti-cancer substances.
- Tomatoes – Their lycopene, an antioxidant, is thought to slow or stop breast, lung and endometrial cancers.
- Grapes and grape juice – Grapes contain resveratrol, making it a powerful way to help ward off cancer.
- Oranges – They contain natural plant chemicals that are believed to help guard the body against heart disease and cancer.
- Flaxseeds – Whether used whole or ground, flaxseed meal has lignans, which is believed to help fight cancer.
“There are many ways to heal the body naturally,” adds Kopera. “Foods are just one way. Eating natural healing foods prepared in their wholesome state can be an effective way to get and stay healthy.”