Most Popular in:
Medical Esthetics Treatments
Rosacea for the Esthetician: A Comprehensive Guide, Part I
By: Cynthia Bailey, MD
Posted: July 1, 2013, from the July 2013 issue of Skin Inc. magazine.
page 2 of 7
2. Papulopustular rosacea.This is the classic rosacea subtype, with skin inflammation heavily centered around the pore, causing pimplelike redness and swelling, sometimes with pustules and nodules.
- There is often a history of flushing.
- There may or may not be a history of sensitive skin.
- The skin may be sebaceous and oily, red, thick and swollen.
3. Glandular rosacea with or without rhynophyma. This is a deep sebaceous rosacea subtype, most commonly seen in men with a history of teenage acne. With this type:
- Flushing and telangiectasias are less prominent;
- Skin is thick and sebaceous, and it is not sensitive or easily irritated;
- Pores are large and filled with plugs of dead skin cells and sebum; and
- There is swelling and enlargement of the oil glands that is classically evidenced by a larger, rounded nose.
4. Ocular rosacea. This is inflammation of the oil glands along the eyelash line and can be seen with all the types of rosacea.
- Some studies have linked it to demodex mites.
- There can be redness, irritation and grittiness of the eyes, stinging, burning and light sensitivity.
- Ocular rosacea may precede facial skin involvement.
Why do people get rosacea?
No one knows! What is known includes the following.
1. The regulation of blood flow to the skin in rosacea is abnormal. People with rosacea have an abnormal vasomotor response of their facial capillaries to heat and other flushing stimuli, leading to easy and frequent flushing.
Are you an esthetician considering working in a medical setting?
Aesthetics Exposed: Mastering Skin Care in a Medical Setting and Beyond This book answers your questions about the legalities of aesthetics, challenging skin concerns, skin care treatments, laser and light therapy, working with medical staff, innovative skin rejuvenation techniques and landing your dream job. If you are serious about advancing yourself and are self-motivated, this book is your first step in the right direction. You have to start somewhere!.