Want More Education?
Delve deeper into the science behind skin care with —Skin Inc. Video Education!
Most Popular in:
The Future of Beauty
By Jeff Falk and Leslie Benson
Posted: October 14, 2008
page 8 of 8
“One of the greatest visions of our group was to use plants to offer phytocosmetics in a time when collagen, elastin and [animal] extracts were the one and only fashionable cosmetic actives. I decided to go against the tide because I did not feel animal extracts would last forever, and, moreover, I had always been fascinated by the beauty of plants and flowers. And as plants were our raw material, we could not imagine using them without protecting them. Without even knowing it, we have pragmatically built a sustainable way of working, which today constitutes the philosophy of the group.”
The company went from “dreaming green” to “managing sustainable,” and Muller equates sustainable development management with a new way of life in which problems of long term supply is addressed. This management includes trust-based relation with its farming partners and sourcing locally—cutting delivery delays and transportation costs.
“We have no other choice than developing sustainable products, selecting production techniques which respects the environment, using less fuel, without polluting the air for instance,” he says. “And it proves to be an economically sound way to manage. Most people have not realized yet that caring for a sustainable development is simply caring for your company.”
For more from Petersen and Muller, read “Principles of Sustainable Development Q&A.”
- Kroger Making Big Changes in Beauty Aisle, Cincinnati Enquirer (Jul 25, 2008)
- Top Performing European Retail Brands 2008, Interbrand report
- 2008 State of the Industry, Euromonitor International
- Lines Begin to Blur Between Retail Channels, Beverage World (Jan 15, 2008)
- Emerging Channels: Beauty Care Products Over the Internet, The NDP Group, 2007
- Gartner: 20% of Retailers in Virtual Worlds by 2010, Virtual World News (Dec 7, 2007)
- Hot 100 Top Ten, National Retail Federation, 2008
- Largest Hair Salon and Beauty Salon—Spa—Chains China 2008, Diagonal Reports (Aug 2008)
- Winning with Intelligent Supply Chains, The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (2007)