Want More Education?
Delve deeper into the science behind skin care with —Skin Inc. Video Education!
Most Popular in:
What Trends Will Make Your Business More Profitable? With Exclusive Commentary From Leslie Lyon of Spas2b Inc.
Posted: February 1, 2012
Leslie Lyon, president of Spas2b Inc., a spa business management education, training and consulting company, translates the new Trendwatching trends for 2012 for spas, offering valuable insight and suggestions about how your business can react to these trends in a profitable way.
I always get excited when I read the Trendwatching.com annual trends report, and this year is no exception. Technology is driving many of these trends and, because of this, a "re-positioning" of sorts continues to be forced upon businesses big and small. If you don't keep up, you may not necessarily expire, but you will lose ground. Here are some points you'll need to consider.
- Continue to boost your "wiredness" socially and technically.
- Step outside your comfort zone to broaden your peripheral markets.
- Develop unique offerings that show off different sides to your spa's personality.
- Attract the value-seekers market with a showing of dollar-driven offerings and incentives.
- Show you care with ethical, human behaviors and practices.
- Help sustain the planet consciously and creatively.
- Change your old familiar patterns and consider zeroing in on any one of the surfacing eclectic populations, who are making personal choices that will build their brand and solidify their status.
1. Red carpet. Everyone wants to shower Chinese clients and visitors with tailored services, perks, attention and respect; their overseas trips to North America bring unrivaled business opportunities. But what about the Chinese population that is within your surrounding area? Could you be niche marketing to this burgeoning demographic? Do you have Asian staff with Eastern expertise? Why not get your spa on their radar with a showing of specifically catered unique offerings?
2. DIY health. Countless new apps and devices target consumers interested in managing their own health, from maintenance to prevention. Tapping into this trend is a no-brainer for spas. Your client intake form just became service solid gold. Familiarize yourself with your clients' health and these new apps that cover everything from cardio fitness to mole monitoring to pain management, and start looking at the new definition of "client longevity." In the recent past, client longevity has often been related to the lifetime value that a client brings to a business. Now you can really work toward increasing your client's longevity with cutting-edge technological advances that increase lifespan, too.
3. Dealer chic. The best deal is now a way of life, even a source of pride and status. Even though many people have less to spend, they continue to expect the ultimate experience. How you find ways to make deals and offers exciting and attractive is your assignment--and it's mandatory.