Following are 10 things that you can do right now to leave our planet in a better place, and save money! Post your success stories on www.facebook.com/SkinInc.
- No more plastic bottles. An average spa with 2 rooms x 12 appointments = 24 x 5 days a week x 52 weeks in a year = 6,240 bottles of water! Use mugs featuring your logo, because glassware not only looks more professional, but Styrofoam and plastic don’t represent health and wellness.
- Recycle. For paper, print double-sided or re-use the second side of the printer paper for notes. For product, many containers can be rinsed out and recycled. Also, asking vendors to pack shipments is an Earth-friendly way to manage the amount of waste to be recycled.
- Run water only when you’re using it. When cleaning bowls and implements, get everything wet and soapy, turn the water back on to rinse, turn off the water and then dry.
- Pay and receive bills online. Also, paying employees through automatic deposit saves time and paper, and many banks offer incentives for businesses and employees who use direct deposit.
- Set laundry limits. For the health and safety of clients, linens need to be washed per your state’s regulations. Look for energy-efficient appliances and keep units maintained while washing on the coolest temperature allowable.
- Save energy. The website www.energystar.gov allows you to search for energy-efficient appliances, light bulbs, business improvement ideas, tax credits, and options for heating and cooling your space efficiently.
- Take the stairs. The Nature Conservancy posted that taking the stairs instead of the elevator twice a day, saves 72 kilowatts of energy ($1/year/person), which really adds up ... in more ways than one.
- Re-useable or recyclable? Branded re-usable bags are re-used by clients for lunches, shopping and beach days. Why not have your brand live with your client daily?
- De-clutter and go green. According to Hometown Dumpster Rental, almost every major city has an eco-friendly junk removal company. Most of these small, locally owned businesses will recycle or donate 60–70% of your junk.
- Eliminate unwanted junk mail. The Direct Marketing Association estimates that listing with their mail preference service will stop 75% of all national mailings.
Founder and owner of the San Francisco Institute of Esthetics and Cosmetology since 2002, Deedee Crossett is an industry pioneer for raising the bar of undergraduate education for cosmetologists and estheticians. She can be reached at www.facebook.com/deedee.crossett and Twitter @DeedeeCrossett #10things.
Want the rest of the story? Simply sign up. It’s easy. Plus, it only takes 1 minute and it’s free!