Get the Skinny! This is just part of the article. Want the complete story, plus a host of other cutting-edge articles to make your job easier? Sign up!
Just in time for spring, here are 10 things you can do right now to spring-clean your treatment room.
- Clean and decalcify your steamer. Running white vinegar through your steamer monthly or quarterly will help clean the coils and prevent damage. (Note: Do not turn on the ozone or leave the vinegar in overnight, and remember to only use distilled water.)
- Create a facility log. This should list the name of every piece of equipment, the manufacturer, serial number and service contact. Use this to track when equipment breaks, and is serviced and cleaned. You can also use this list with your insurance company, if needed.
- Update material safety data sheets (MSDS). Do this for all the products in your spa, including your disinfectants. Most product lines have this information online. Have your MSDS printed and readily available in the event of an emergency (www.osha.gov).
- Check labels. For the safety of your clients and employees, make sure all products are labeled appropriately. Hazardous chemicals should be identified as such.
- Keep up to date on changing state regulations by reviewing meeting minutes online. Check to see if you can follow them via social media, as well, such as on Twitter or Facebook.
- Make sure EPA-registered disinfectant is available in the manufacturer’s original container and also mixed and ready for use. Is the container you are using large enough to submerge your facial bowls? Is it labeled? Does everyone know the correct ratios of water to disinfectant?
- Get your label-maker out! Tools should be either stored in a container marked “clean/disinfected/sanitized” or “dirty/soiled/used.” A container is anything that can be closed, labeled and used as storage. The pocket of your uniform is not a closed container!
- Check your linens. Are there any stains, hanging strings or holes? Donate your old linens to the local animal shelter or Goodwill.
- Are all state and city licenses posted? Are any renewal dates coming up? If so, mark your calendar. If you find an expiration date, take care of it right away. If you have been charged a late fee, most states require that you pay it before they will release the license.
- Spring clean your look with a new jacket or uniform. Whatever your spa attire, the spring is a great time to update your look for the treatment room.
Founder and owner of the San Francisco Institute of Esthetics and Cosmetology since 2002, Deedee Crossett is an industry pioneer for raising the bar of undergraduate education for cosmetologists and estheticians. She can be reached at www.facebook.com/deedee.crossett and Twitter @DeedeeCrossett #10things.
Want the rest of the story? Simply sign up. It’s easy. Plus, it only takes 1 minute and it’s free!