Most Popular in:
New Research in Natural Ingredients
By: Sherrie Berry
Posted: June 28, 2011, from the July 2011 issue of Skin Inc. magazine.
page 3 of 5
So, with an open mind and being careful not to fall into the trap of two extreme mindsets—either believing that natural products aren’t powerful enough to measure up to conventional ones, or adhering strictly to ingredient names that are only familiar to your own botanical vocabulary—you should continue reading. Following is a sneak peek at the up-and-coming ingredients that are not only all-natural, but highly effective.
Anti-aging. Following are natural ingredients that can help provide anti-aging results when included in skin care and cosmetic formulations.
- Myoxinol*—These botanical hibiscus oligopeptides can help inhibit muscle-cell contraction, complemented with activity against biological agents of cellular aging.
- Macelignan—This active ingredient from nutmeg can cause cells from adipose tissue to increase in volume, thereby allowing wrinkles to become less visible.
- Zirhafirm**—This four-part synergistic combination, that includes zizyphus jujuba seed extract, recovers and maintains skin’s firmness and elasticity by helping activate gene expression and strengthening intracellular unions.
- EcoBidens***—This three-part blend promotes a decrease of inflammatory mediators involved in premature skin aging, and protects DNA resistance and senescence. It helps improve fibroblast proliferation and re-establishes antioxidant enzymes after sun stress.
- Elestan LS 9913*—This offers unique four-in-one protection and repair activity on the skin’s elastic fiber network, and helps to enhance skin firmness, resilience and elasticity.
Anti-aging for eyes. This natural ingredient can help provide anti-aging results for the eyes when included in skin care and cosmetic formulations.
- Bioskinup Contour 3R***—This is an eight-part synergistic blend of Brazilian and European plants providing triple action: anti-inflammatory, anti-edematous and venous protection. This is a complete and scientifically based dermocosmetic active developed for delicate problem areas around the eyes.
Hydration. Following are natural ingredients that can help provide hydration when included in skin care and cosmetic formulations.
- 1,3-Propanediol—A corn-based humectant that may be superior to other synthetic humectants such as butylene glycol.
- Adansonia digitata—This oil harvested from the dry valley of the Limpopo Region in South Africa helps repair damaged skin, and offers instant and sustained relief from dry, damaged skin.
- Aquasense 3R***—This moisturizer helps prevent skin aging while increasing fibronectins, aquaporins and envelope proteins, increasing moisturization from inside out. Clinically tested for moisturizing and skin aging effects.
Skin lightening. This natural ingredient can help provide lightening results when included in skin care and cosmetic formulations.
- Artocarpus incises—This heartwood extract of Thai breadfruit is a new skin-lightening active that may be better than kojic acid, a great substitute for hydroquinone.