Avocado Quick Facts
- Latin Americans wrap up avocados and give them as wedding gifts.
- The avocado also is called an Alligator Pear because of its pearlike shape and green skin.
- California produces approximately 90% of the U.S. avocado crop.
- San Diego County is the Avocado Capital of the United States, producing 60% of all the avocados grown in California.
- Two mature avocado trees can provide enough oxygen for a family of four.
- Orchard avocado trees lower air temperature by evaporating water in their leaves.
- To ripen an avocado, place it in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana to accelerate the process.