Makes 2 servings
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoon minced gingerroot
1 pinch crushed red pepper
2 portobello mushrooms, stemmed
1⁄4 cup firm tofu
1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon broccoli florets
1 tablespoon sliced water chestnuts
4 ears baby corn
1 tablespoon bamboo shoots
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, diced or julienned
1 teaspoon julienned carrot
2 tablespoons bean sprouts
reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste
1. For Marinade: Combine sesame oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, minced gingerroot and crushed red pepper.
2. Marinate mushrooms and tofu separately for about 15 minutes, then drain excess marinade.
3. Preheat a wok or sauté pan, and add enough sesame oil to coat. When oil begins to smoke, sauté minced gingerroot until it begins to brown. Add minced garlic, and continue to sauté until garlic just begins to brown.
4. Add all vegetables except for bean sprouts, and sauté until broccoli begins to soften.
5. Add tofu and mushrooms. Season with reduced-sodium soy sauce. For more ginger flavor, add more sautéed minced gingerroot or ground dry ginger.
6. Add bean sprouts just before removing from heat.
7. Serve on plates.