Spa Cuisine: Lemongrass Quick Facts
- One cup of lemongrass has 66 calories, 0 grams of fat, 17 grams of carbohydrates and makes up 30% of the recommended daily amount of iron.
- Lemongrass oil is the volatile oil distilled from the leaves of the grass.
- Lemongrass is one of the aromatic grasses that were common in the Holy Land and referenced in the Bible.
- Cymbopogon nardis, a close relative of lemongrass and commonly known as citronella, is a popular ingredient used to repel insects.
- Supposedly, illness ranging from gastric irritability to cramping can be relieved by adding a fraction of a drop of lemongrass oil to a sugar cube.
- Lemongrass oil can relieve joint pain for those who suffer from arthritis.